Thursday 14 April 2016

One For the Books...

Today something very exciting happened; I graduated from university!! I can still remember when I started my degree, three years ago, and graduation day felt like it was eons away. Now that I'm here, I feel like the time absolutely flew by. While this is an exciting and momentous occasion, it's also a slightly scary one. It's scary because I'm not quite sure what to do next. I always envisaged that by the time graduation came around I'd have a more solid idea of where to head next, but I don't...yet. I'm a big believer in the timing of things, and that when something is supposed to happen, it will. That's not to say that hard work isn't involved, of course it is, but I feel like the small beginnings will flourish into something eventually. Even though I feel a little lost at the moment, it will all come together in time, and with perspective I'll see why it took that little bit longer. They say just because you took longer than everyone else doesn't mean that you failed. I firmly believe this to be true. Comparison is the thief of joy, right? So let's quit comparing! Embrace, and love, the season that you're in (this is something I'm working on, and you should too). 

My time at university taught me many things, but the most important was not to give up on myself. There were countless times throughout my degree where I honestly thought I was failing - but I never did. In fact I usually did far better than I expected. Perseverance and hard work will always pay off in the end - and this applies to any sector you find yourself in. Take encouragement from that. I know that all these little bits and pieces I'm doing along the way will have a benefit somewhere along the line, whether I realise it at the time or not. So for now, I'm going to continue working on myself when it comes to developing skills to combat my anxiety and depression. I firmly believe this is where my time and energy has to go right now. If I'm not mentally healthy I won't be able to handle everything else as well, so it's important that I become better at dealing with the stresses of life. Once I feel like I'm in a better place mentally, I'll be ready to conquer the world. While I'm not striving for perfection necessarily, I do think that taking care of your mental state is so important. I know that I'll never be completely "healed" in that regard, but I do know that I can make progress and develop skills that will allow me to perform at my best in every area. 

With that being said, I'm excited. I know that I can achieve great things and go to places I never thought I'd get to. I just need to be patient with myself for now. This journey that I'm on is only just beginning and there is so much more to learn and accomplish along the way and I'm excited to document the journey on here for you all (and in videos on my YouTube channel too, I will definitely get better at that!). So here is to the future and all the golden moments it will hold. T.S Eliot once said, "To make an end is to make a beginning". That's exactly what this day is. It's the beginning of something bright, something new, and something noteworthy. I'll conclude with a dash more inspiration from Steve Jobs, "If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it." So let's go find it!

Love, S.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats Sam! Two of my friends graduated today too. Seems like time has flown by! Wish you all the best with what you end up doing after this!

    xo Kat @ Katness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yay that two of your friends graduated yesterday as well. Biggest congratulations to them also. I'm so excited to see where I'll go, so thank you for your lovely words xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top