Tuesday 14 April 2015

My Morning: Pause, Ponder, Write

In my last blog post I mentioned how I wanted to shift 'Sam Indigo' into becoming more personal. This post is just that, so I hope you enjoy it! 

I'm a Christian. I have been going to the same church for almost 10 years now and while I've had many ups and downs along the way, Jesus has stayed constant and so has His Word. That's the beauty of the bible, it is constant, when many things in our lives are not. I came across this quote on Tumblr that says:
Arguably the most beautiful thing about the Gospel is its consistency.
When I don’t feel like it’s true, it still is-
When I don’t feel clean. When I don’t feel like I belong. When I don’t feel accepted. When I don’t feel loved. I am.

I love that! There is so much truth in those words, and that is something that we often forget. However, this post is not a recount of my faith or a sharing of my testimony (though I am happy to do that one day if anyone wants to hear about it), but just me sharing my morning with you all.

It is currently 9.30am and I've just finished having some breakfast and spending some time with God. I get to do this most mornings, which I am very grateful for. I love being able to just sit down, open my bible, and see what God wants to tell me. While I was doing that very thing this morning, I got the idea to write a little blog post about it. I thought to myself, why not share it with you guys. After all, this is definitely something more personal and different to what I normally do, which is what my goal was! 

As I mentioned before, I've been a Christian for almost 10 years now, but it's only been in the past year or so that I've consistently read my bible. It's terrible - I know! Now, reading your bible doesn't make you a Christian, just like not reading your bible doesn't not make you a Christian. But it helps. I can honestly say that this past year of reading my bible has been so much better than all the years not reading it. When you read the Word you are opening yourself up to the possibility, or the guarantee rather, or hearing directly from God. The opportunity to read my bible every morning allows me to build a strong platform that I can stand on. It sets the theme of my day and helps me to refocus, feel inspired, and then take on whatever the day may hold. 

This morning I was reading a few chapters in Joel, and the one major standout verse for me was Joel 2:13. In the NIV translation is says:
Return to the Lord your God, 
for he is gracious and compassionate, 
slow to anger and abounding in love.

I know I could definitely learn a few things from that. If we all acted like that, the way God is, imagine how much happier the world would be. I don't want this post to be me shoving my beliefs down your throat, but rather me sharing what I do in the morning with you. I love God, I think He's amazing, but I am not going to sit here and tell you that you need to become a Christian right this very moment. If you want to, sure, but I think it's something more personal. It's a feeling you get, when you just know. If anything I just hope this has inspired you to take some time to stop, breathe, ponder and refocus. That way you will be able to face whatever the day throws at you with fresh eyes and a clear mind. 

Love, S.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sam!
    Not sure if you remember me but it's Kelly from your primary school :)
    I loved this post! It was super inspiring to me and reminded me why I used to read my bible every morning.
    Kelly xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Yeah, of course I remember you :) Thanks so much for your kind words, and I encourage you to start reading it again if you've stopped. You'll be surprised how much of a difference it makes to your day. Sorry I took ages to reply, I just totally forgot to! I hope you're doing well xxx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top